Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vacation Day Tango Roger




The clouds were out pretty thick this morning, so Ryan and I decided to go to the movies and watch Dark Knight. I have been an avid Batman fan since childhood. After a couple hours of reflection, this might be the best movie I have ever seen. It has all the marks of a legendary film. It has subtle humor and wit, a terrific soundtrack, one tough character, great lines, a very intelligent and thrilling story, great fights scenes, and non-stop action. Heath Ledger blew me away as the Joker. His character was filled with a twisted intellectual perspective of everything that is terrifyingly evil. The movie was also very deep, full of psychology, philosophy, and ideology. It was one of those movies that you can't stop thinking about.

After we got home the sun was out and we went to the beach. I only stayed for a little while. I have grown a little bored with the beach, so I decided I would actually try to work on a sermon since I do have to return to work Sunday (the work of the Lord is never done). I knocked down 8 chapters of Isaiahic text (deutero-Isaiah as those dirty liberal scholars would call it) in just a few hours. This is the first day that I have had coffee since, well college. The caffine really had the neurons pumping.

We ate at Fannie's again. This time the ladies and children accompanied us. I had, you guessed it, shrimp, this time fried. The best ever, not too much breading and the perfect seasoning. There was also a live band. The kids loved the music. Defintely made my top 5 restaurants after tonight. It was my turn to pay. For an instant, I thought about pulling a Loyd Christmas and telling the waitress that another person would pick up my bill, then I would leave. I even had the person picked out. Then they announced that it was her 89th birthday and I felt it might be inappropriate. Well my mind is tired from exegesis and a great movie. My skin has soaked up plenty of vitamin D. Now it is time for the body to get some rest. It is hard to believe that the week is almost gone. From Tybee Island, Ga; over and out.

1 comment:

Robbie Mackenzie said...

I told you the movie was awesome. While you guys are having fun in Tybee Island I had a monstrous crowd of 240 kids come and it was great! We have a guys retreat at my house tonight so I am getting ready for that. I have no sympathy for you and your sermons while going to the beach and eating unethical amounts of shrimp. I am discovering that I am the hero Springfield needs but not the one it deserves...or something like that.